Thursday, August 28, 2008

Infusion Day


August 25, 2008 - What a long day!! This procedure was to take only 90 minutes and we were at the Huntsman Center for 6.5 hours. Since it was my first infusion we didn't know the ropes and it was very crowded. The lab had to draw more blood after they got the I.V. in and then the blood had to be tested for specific values before they could mix up the Chemo (this is a form of Chemo, not the traditional Chemo and has less side affects). Once the mix was done then they called me back and put me in a nice reclyning chair with a TV attached to with cable. Mom and Julie sat in chairs next to me and kept me company which I really appreciated because this was one day I didn't want to be alone.

My nurse Laurel came around giving us instructions on the medicines and to make sure we were comfortable. She was fantastic and very funny. She gave us so many ideas for car hiking since I cannot hike anymore. So, our next family adventures locally will be car hiking to places like Mirror Lake and Alpine Loop.

A volunteer person came around every 1/2 hr with snacks and drinks so we were not in need of anything except for the day to end, it was very exhausting. I also started the other drug on Monday of which I take every night. The daily pill will have a few more side affects but nothing we can't handle. My next infusion is 9/16/08 and they swear that one should only take 60 miniutes since we have the routine down.

8/28/08 All in all I feel pretty good. This morning I went for an injection in my right shoulder for severe pain that has been lasting for about 2 weeks. I won't be able to have any surgury on it because the medicine lowers my immune system and healing process for any cuts, surgeries (which are out of the question) or anything that breaks the skin or gums.

I am so thankful I have my family and friends while going through this. My heart goes out to those who have to do it alone. Thank you and I love you all very much....

12 comments:

Korine said...

ok - this is the third time I've tried to leave a comment - we'll see if it works this time. But by now the 'magic' from the first try is gone forever and the humor in the second just doesn't fit.... so for now I'll just say this:

Take your trip to Mirror Lake in the fall. The colors will be astounding and it will be a trip that you won't soon forget. It's beautiful.

When you go to Nauvoo, I'll be there, just tell me when. The Nauvoo Family Cabins are a fun 'family style' place to stay. What a blast we would have.

I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and I know that you know Him. Be stubborn... just like I was when you didn't want me to find you many years ago..... never give up.

Hugs and kisses and more to come.
I love you - Korine

Anonymous said...

Hello Rhonda!
Just wanted to say hello so that you know we are thinking about you.
Jared and I are praying for you. Take care of yourself and if you need anything at all give us a ring!
Lots of Love
The Baker Bunch
Jared, Tricia And the gang!

joan said...

Hi Rhonda: (Joan from Mountain View)I hope you get this. Michelle called me several weeks ago to say she had some news about you. The first thing I thought was that you were married with 3 kids or living in Vermont. Needless to say, I was surprised at what she told me. You have a strong spirit, a loving family and your faith which will carry you through. Just know that I thinking of you and wishing you the best. Much love, Joan Rudloff bikeonjoan@sbcglobal.net

Rhonda said...

What a beautiful comment Michele, thank you and I am so looking forward to seeing you this weekend. We have lot's of catching up and fun to be had.

Love, Rhonda

Rhonda said...

Korine - you know how stubborn I can be and I still am. I have always enjoyed having you back in my life and missed you terribly when I tried to shut you out. I feel very blessed to have you as my dear friend because no matter what you have always been there for me.
We will get to Nauvoo one way or another when the time is right. It is on my bucket list.
All my love and friendship: Rhonda

Rhonda said...

Tricia - thank you to you and Jared for the comment. I appreciate the love, support and prayers through this next journey of mine. All is going well so far. A few little bumps and stumps but nothing I can't handle. Hope to see you guys soon. Love, Rhonda

Rhonda said...

Joan - what a very nice shock to hear from you. I don't know how Michele found you but I have looking for you for years. I think of you so often and have missed you for so many years. Our time leaving next door to eachother seems like 100 years ago but yet we have had so many memorable times. I hope I can see you in the near future. I received your phone message and promise to call you soon. Thank you for being back in my life - Love, Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Hey Cuz!

I think I'll pass on that program. I guess you do what you have to do, but it doesn't sound very fun.

I wish you could come up here to see me. Alaska is amazingly beautiful right now. The colors are in full regala.

When are you taking this trip to Nauvoo?

Keep posting the updates. I am trying to keep track of you. I like the photos too! Your Sisters are kind of DORKY!

I love you lots!

Love,

Ben

Anonymous said...

Hey miss Rhonda - what's new? I think of you every day. I can't imagine how hard this must be, but I also know you have an indominatable spirit! I'm teaching seminary again - New Testament this year. We're talking about Joseph today and the trial he faced when finding out that Mary was 'with child.' Just ask yourself the question: "What is it that God needs me to do?" then move forward. Know that you are loved by so many people.
Hugs and kisses - Korine

Anonymous said...

I just had a thought as I was looking over your blog. You need to put more pictures up - not only recent ones, but ones that tell the story of who you are! Like an on-line scrapbook. As if you don't have enough to do already!
XOXOXO - Korine

Lynnea said...

Thanks for having this blog. It's great. You guys are as funny as ever. So glad you haven't changed a bit! Perfect way for all of us to get through this. There's alot of love here.

Rhonda said...

To Korine and Lynnea: Thank you for the comments. I enjoy doing this but I have been sick lately and haven't felt good enough to think..... My next infusion is on Tuesday so I will update with more pictures. I will figure out how to do a slide show so I can add multiple pix in one area. I just posted a new picture to hold everyone over until Tuesday or Wednesday. Love you both lots and love the comments.

Rhonda