Saturday, August 23, 2008

Looking Good Mom (Zion, ILL)

UPDATE: BACK HOME IN UTAH...

Well, mom survived the hospital and was released after 5 days just in time to go to the visit with Julie, shell and I to see the Oncologist Dr. Thompson. This visit was pretty informative but only confirmed what I already knew and that was to have my treatment at home with the Huntsman Cancer Institute. We make an appointment with Dr. Akerley (my Oncologist) with some questions we had after the visit in Zion, Illinois. We all felt better with the road we are going down. We are starting off with the study drugs and if I don't react to them or if I get worse during treatment then they will discontinue the drugs and start me on chemo right away which by the way has a 30% treatment rate.

So far this is what I know and I am going to be honest. My cancer has metastasize through parts of my body staying within the chest region which includes both lungs with several nodules. it has spread to several lymph nodes from supraclavicular region on both sides down along the abdominal was and near the liver but not in it. My cancer is pretty aggressive but we are praying and with faith hope that the study drugs can hold off the chemo for awhile. According to the Doctors I could live anywhere between 1 to 5 years, without any treatment they give me between 6 - 8 months.

My first infusion is tomorrow 8/25/2008 at 9:30 am. Mom and Julie are going with me. It will take about 90 minutes. I have this infusion every 2 1/2 - 3 weeks and then I take another medication (pill form) everyday. They say that the first 4 - 6 weeks I will go through my teen years with a breakout of zits and rash which can be very painful. They said that my body is reacting the way it should if I break out with the rashes (YUK).

One of my greatest blessings right now is that I am able to spend quality time with my family which has been a heart felt need of mine for quite sometime. My family means the world to me and I love them very much. What a great support system I have between family, friends and co-workers. LaRohnda my best friend and definitely part of the family is making sure all needs are being met one way or another. She has also been such a great support and digging up a lot of information for increasing our knowledge and comfort.

I have no fear about this and I have a strong sense of peace and comfort that I can't explain except Heavenly Father has His arms wrapped around me constantly. I have a strong testimony and know that I am loved and being taken care of. Julie has quit her job to be my caretaker which she continues to emulate selfless love.

I will continue to update with reports and pictures so be on the look out. I will not go through a day without expressing my love and gratitude so that I can go to bed without regrets. All my love, Rhonda

1 comment:

Ladybug143 said...

You are amazing! I love you!